I warned you in the previous post that this was going to be a long project – and I wasn’t kidding! I spent most of Saturday creating new drawers from 90% new materials and the original drawer fronts. The process was pretty easy for the 3 drawers that I rebuilt from scratch – but then I came to the drawers that only needed one side to be replaced and that’s where things got a bit tricky. So by the end of the day Saturday, I had 3 new drawers and 5 repaired drawers.
Below is a picture of one of the drawers – unfinished and sanded (the front) so that I can even the stain across the entire front of the cabinet.
You can see in the picture above – the bottom 3 drawers are the “brand” new drawers. The bottom lip of the cabinet is just there for structural support at the moment – the next steps in this cabinet re-do are:
- Removing all drawers and inspecting runners for rust – grind to repait
- Sand entire outside of the cabinet, repair interior as needed
- Add wheels to bottom (cause this is one heavy beast and I want to be able to move it)
- Repair bottom front and router new trim to match
Then once all that’s done – it’s on to sanding and staining the drawers and the entire piece! Only another 2-3 weeks worth of work on this baby!
PS – the green tape is on the drawers so that I can remember what order they go in
3 comments on “Restoring an Antique Hamilton Type Cabinet: Part 2”
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- No public Twitter messages.
Tagsannie sloan antique blue bookcase bookshelf Buffet cedar Cedar chest chair chairs coffee table curvy custom decor decoration desk dining room dining table distressed DIY Dresser fabric french grey handmade kitchen Lamps link party NYC outdoor restoration hardware side table sofa table sold stain stained steelcase tanker desk table tools type cabinet unfinished union jack vintage white wood